1. Put a tick ✓ in the right box.
(1) The …………… looks after the local administration of the village.
Gram Panchayat Panchayat Samiti Zilla Parishad
Answer: Gram Panchayat
(2) It is binding to hold at least ……… meetings of the Gram Sabha in each financial year.
Four Five Six
(3) At present, there are …………… districts in Maharashtra.
34 35 36
2. Make a list of the functions of the Panchayat Samiti.
The functions of the Pnachayat Samiti are:
- To build roads, gutters, wells and borewells.
- To organise vaccination drives.
- To Provide clean drinking water.
- To maintaining cleanliness of roads and arrange for the disposal of waste.
- To help the farmers improve agriculture and livestock.
- To provide primary education.
- To promote handicrafts and cottage industries.
- To provide financial aid to the weaker sections
3. What is your opinion?
(1) The Gram Panchayat levies various taxes.
(i) The Gram Panchayat looks after the administration of the village. (ii) The Gram Panchayat carries out the functions relating to water supply, electricity, registration of births, deaths and marriages.
(iii) For this purpose, it requires money.
(iv The Gram Panchayat raises these funds through different taxes.
(2) The number of Zilla Parishads is less than the total number of districts in Maharashtra.
(i) Every District has a Zilla Parishad.
(ii) At present, the State of Maharashtra has 36 districts but only 34 Zilla Parishads.
(iii) The reason is that Mumbai City District and Mumbai Suburban District do not have a rural population.
(iv) Therefore, they do not have Zilla Parishads.
4. Complete the Table.
My Taluka, My Panchayat Samiti.
(1) Name of the Taluka ………..
(2) The name of the Chairman of the Panchayat Samiti ………..
(3) The name of the Deputy Chairman of the Panchayat Samiti ………..
(4) The name of the Block Development Officer ………..
(5) The name of the Block Education Officer ………..
Answer: (students have to solve it on their own)
5. Write a brief note on
(1) The Sarpanch
(i) The elections to a Gram Panchayat are held every five years.
(ii) The elected members elect a Sarpanch and Deputy Sarpanch from among themselves.
(iii) The meetings of the Gram Panchayat are held under the chairmanship of the Sarpanch.
(iv) It is his responsibility to implement the development schemes of the village.
(v) The members of the Gram Panchayat can bring a motion of no confidence against a Sarpanch who is not carrying out his responsibilities properly.
(vi) In the absence of the Sarpanch, the Deputy Sarpanch looks after the work of a Gram Panchayat.
(2) The Chief Executive Officer
(i) The decisions taken by the Zilla Parishad are implemented by the Chief Executive Officer of the Zilla Parishad.
(ii) He is appointed by the State Government.
(1) Organize a mock Gram Sabha and enact the roles of the Sarpanch, members of the Gram Panchayat, voters, Gram Sevak.
(2) Make a chart depicting the possible structure of a Balsansad and display it in the class.
(3) Obtain information about the schemes run by the Zilla Parishad in your area or near your city.
Std 6 History
10. Ancient India : Cultural
11. Ancient India and the World
Std 6 Civics
4. Urban Local Government Bodies
5. District Administration