Chapter 1 The Earth and the Graticule
Chapter 1 The Earth and the Graticule: Exercise
(A) Place a tick mark against the correct option.
(1) What term is used for the imaginary east – west horizontal lines on the earth?
(a) Meridians (b) International Date Line (c) Parallels
(2) What is the shape of the meridians?
(a) Circular (b) Semicircular (c) Points
(3) What do the parallels of latitude and meridians of longitude together form on the globe?
(a) Angular distance (b) Hemisphere (c) Graticule
(4) How many parallels are there in the northern hemisphere?
(a) 90 (b) 89 (c) 91
(5) Which circle forms the eastern and western hemispheres?
(a) 0° parallel and 180° meridian
(b) 0° Prime Meridian and 180° meridian
(c) North and South Polar circles
Ans. 0° Prime Meridian and 180° meridian
(6) Which circle appears as a point on the globe?
(a) Equator (b) North / South Pole (c) Prime Meridian
Ans. North / South Pole
(7) How many places on the earth may be located on 45°N parallel ?
(a) one (b) many (c) two
(B) Observe a globe and examine the following statements. Correct the wrong ones.
(1) Parallels of latitude lie parallel to the Prime Meridian.
Ans. Wrong. Parallels of latitude lie parallel to each other.
(2) All parallels of latitude converge at the equator.
Ans. Wrong. Parallels of latitude do not converge.
(3) Parallels and meridians are imaginary lines.
(4) 8° 4′ 65” is a north meridian.
Ans. Wrong. 8° 4′ 65” is a parallel of latitude.
(5) Meridians are parallel to each other.
Ans. Wrong. Meridians lie one above the other or one below the other.
(C) Find the correct graticule out of the following and put a tick mark 3 against it.
(D) Answer the following :
(1) How will you express the latitude and longitude of the North Pole?
Ans. We will express the latitude as 900 N and the longitude can be any longitude.
(2) How much is the angular distance between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn?
Ans. The angular distance between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn 470
(3) Using a globe, write down the names of the countries through which the equator passes.
Ans. The names of the countries through which the equator passes are Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Sao Tome & Principe, Gabon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Maldives, Indonesia and Kiribati.
(4) Write down the main uses of the graticule.
Ans. The main use of the graticule is to find the exact position of a place on the Earth.
(E) Complete the following table.
|Characteristics||Parallels of Latitudes||Meridians of Longitudes|
|Size||Size of each parallel is different||Size of each meridian is the same.|
|Distance||Distance between two parallels is the same everywhere.||Distance between two meridians is largest at the equator and goes on decreasing towards the poles.|
1. The Earth and the Graticule
3. Comparing a Globe and a Map; Field Visits
4. Weather and Climate
6. Importance of Oceans
7. Rocks and Rock Types
8. Natural Resources
9. Energy Resources
10. Human Occupations