Std 5 EVS 1 Chapter 5 Family Values
1. What happens when everyone has a role in decision-making?
Can you tell?
Note the following situations carefully. State which of the children show honest behaviour.
(1) Afreen borrowed a pencil from Meenu. After she finished using it, she returned it.
(2) Shama fell from her bicycle. However, she told her mother, “Neha pushed me off the bicycle”.
(3) Mary took the bag she found in a rickshaw to a police station.
What’s the solution?
(1) We meet a boy who has lost his way.
(2) While on a trip, we realise that our friend has forgotten her tiffin at home.
(3) Some people are stuck in the lift of a building.
What’s the solution?
The following things are observed in some families.
(1) In some homes, boys’ uniforms, textbooks and bags are bought first. Purchases for girls are put off.
(2) When his team lost a kabaddi match, Raju began to cry. Dinesh said, “Why are you crying like a girl?”
(3) Vandana likes the bat and ball a lot; however, she is given dolls and toy stoves and utensils to play ‘house’.
(4) Sarika helps her mother with the cooking and household chores. Her brother is never asked to do the same.
1. Fill in the blanks.
(a) Honesty is our ______________.
(b) Everyone needs ___________________ in public life.
(c) _______________________ has a special significance in our country.
(d) By developing a sense of equality, everyone gets to ______________________.
2. Answer in one line.
(a) Who should make decisions regarding changes in our environment ?
(b) What is tolerance ?
(c) What is gender equality?
(d) What are the common needs of men and women?
3. Answer in short.
(a) How do you take part in the decision-making process in the family?
(b) How do we develop a sense of tolerance?
1. Collect stories of social reformers which highlight the values of tolerance and gender equality. Narrate the stories in the class.
2. Can you narrate a few incidents of your honesty? Do so.
Answer the following questions:
1. How are we part of the decision-making in the family?
2. What happens when everyone has a role in decision-making?
3. How can we be a part of the public decision-making process?
4. How can we learn to be honest?
5. What happens if we travel on a train or bus without a ticket?
6. Explain how tolerance has a special significance in our country.
7. What are the advantages of diversity?
8. What is gender equality?
9. Why should we practice honesty?
10. What makes our community life harmonious and peaceful?