1.2 Odd One In – Answers
Passage1: page 3:
“How was the first…….. ….” Rima and her friend had decided to do just that.
- What were Rima’s parents enquiring about with her?
Ans: Rima’s parents were enquiring about her first day of school.
- Who was the new girl in school?. Why did Rima find her funny?
Ans: Malti, because she couldn’t speak much English.
- How according to Mr. Sen are the children from the other state?
Ans: Supposed to be clever and specially good at Maths.
- Why did Rima not agree with her father? Or how did Rima decide whether or not Malti was smart?
Ans: Rima did not find Malti to be smart because she had oily hair, wore a bindi on her forehead and did not pronounce the word ‘Good Morning, Teacher’ instead she said “Gud morning, Teechurr’
- What did Rima’s parents’ advise her? Or How did Rima’s parents’ hope she and her friends would not do?
Ans: Rima’s parents hoped that she and her friends would not make life difficult for Malti.
- What had Rima and her gang decided to do?
Ans: Rima and her friends had decided to make life difficult for Malti.
Passage 2 page 3 & 4:
Next morning, the minute Malti……… quite a little snob!” said Mr. Sen sadly.
- What competition was coming up? When?
Ans: The Inter-house singing competition was coming up on the following Saturday.
- Under which category was Rima participating in?
Ans: Rima was participating under the English song category.
- What was Rima surprised to see?
Ans: Rima was surprised to see Malti’s name in the list of participants for the Hindi song category.
- Did Rima and Clare pass good remarks about Malti? What were they?
Ans: No, Rima snidely said “Oily plaits sings also,” and Clare giggled and said “Croaks, you mean,”
- How did Malti prove Rima and Clare wrong?
Ans: Malti sang beautifully. She had a melodious and well trained voice.
- What had Rima and her gang decided to do while Malti sang? Why didn’t they do it?
Ans: They had decided to jeer Malti when she sang. But when Malti sang beautifully with a melodious and a well trained voice. There was absolute silence. So they did not dare to jeer Malti as they were sure they would be caught.
- How did the everyone react when Malti finished singing?
Ans: When Malti finished singing the Principal was the first one to start clapping, followed by the teachers and students.
*8) Why did Rima feel no joy even though she came first in her category?
Ans: Even though Rima came first in her category, she felt no joy because Malti sang beautifully with a melodious and well trained voice. While she sang there was absolute silence. And when she finished, the Principal was the first one to start clapping, followed by the teachers and students. Also, Malti won the first prize in her category.
Passage 3: page 5:
“As the term progressed…………………. ……. Particularly at her English”
- List down Malti’s qualities or As the term progressed, what qualities of Malti became
abundantly clear to all?
Ans: As the term progressed, it was abundantly clear to all that Malti was a bright child. She was quiet, studious and intelligent. She fared well in sports as well as in studies. Her forte was mathematics. Her simple appearance belied a sharp and nimble brain.
For detailed worksheet – click on – pdf (1569 downloads)