Lesson 5: The Twelve Months
For the detailed explanation click on: jkacademypro.com
Things To Do:
1. Find the meaning of the following words:
- Adorning: to make something or someone more beautiful
- Rated: to scold angrily
- Abused: to treat someone with cruelty or violence
- Starlets: small stars
- Delicious: very tasty
2. Read the words. Write the words that combine to make each of them.
- Stepmother: Step and mother
- Footprint: Foot and print
- Snow-white: Snow and white
- Springtime:Spring and time
- Gentle-hearted: Gentle and hearted
- Anywhere: Any and where
Now write other the meaningful words that begin/end with-
- The first word in each:
- Step: doorstep
- Foot: barefoot
- Snow: snowfall
- Spring: spring-onion
- Gentle: gentleman
- Any: Anything
- The second word in each:
- Mother: grandmother
- Print: blueprint
- White: whiteboard
- Time: bedtime
- Hearted: half-hearted
- Where: whereas
3. Answer the following questions.
1. Why did Marouckla’s stepmother hate her?
Ans: Marouckla’s stepmother hated her because Marouckla was prettier than her own daughter.
2. In what season does the story take place?
Ans: The story takes place in winter
3. Does Marouckla get any of the things she brings?
Ans: Marouckla does not get any of the things she brings because her cruel stepmother and stepsister do not give her any.
4. Why do Holena and her mother go out in the snow themselves?
Ans: Holena and her mother go out in the snow themselves to get more apples
5. Why is Great January annoyed with Holena and her mother? Does he help them?
Ans: Great January is annoyed with Holena and her mother because they were rude and disrespectful and did not ask for permission to warm their hands. Great January did not help them.
4. Describe the following with the help of the story
- Springtime: The trees began to bud, and the ground was at once covered with grass.
- Summer: The ground was all green, the trees were covered with leaves, the birds began to sing, and the forest was filled with all kinds of flowers. The ground under the bushes was covered with white starlets, the starry blossoms were turning into strawberries.
- Winter: The now began to fall thick and an icy wind began to blow through the forest. The snow fell in huge masses and it was freezing cold.
5. Find 5 other nouns from the story:
Once upon a time…spread out on the ground.
1. Why did the stepmother hate Marouckla?
Ans: Marouckla’s stepmother hated her because she was prettier than her own daughter, Holena.
2. What did Holena spend her time doing?
Ans: Holena spent her time adorning herself and lazing about.
3. Why did they send Marouckla to the forest?
Ans: They sent Marouckla to the forest because they envied her so much that they decided to throw her out in the freezing cold to get rid of her by telling her to get them some violets from the forest.
4. Who were the handsomest of the Twelve men?
Ans: The three youngest were the handsomest of the Twelve men.
5. Great January offered the high seat to whom?
Ans: Great January offered the high seat to March.
6. What happened when March waved his club over the fire?
Ans: When March waved his club over the fire, the fire blazed up, the snow began to melt, the trees began to bud, and the ground was covered with grass.
7. What did the violets look like?
Ans: The violets looked like a blue cloth spread out on the ground.
8. How is Great January described as?
Ans: Great January sat at the highest stone; his hair and beard were as white as snow, and in his hand he held a club.
Now pick them…commanded June.
1. What happened when Holena and her mother opened the door to Marouckla?
Ans: When Holena and her mother opened the door to Marouckla, the scent of violets filled all the cottage.
2. Why did Holena send Marouckla to the forest the next day?
Ans: Holena sent Marouckla to the forest the next day to get her some strawberries.
3.What did Holena threaten to do to Marouckla is she did not get her the strawberries?
Ans: If Marouckla did not get Holena the strawberries, she threatened to kill her.
4. What was Marouckla tortured and trembling by while wandering?
Ans: Marouckla was tortured by hunger and trembling with cold while wandering.
5. How was Summer described as?
Ans: Summer was described as: The ground was all green, the trees were covered with leaves, the birds began to sing, and the forest was filled with all kinds of flowers.
6. What did the strawberries look like?
Ans: The strawberries looked as though a red carpet had been spread on the ground,
7. What did June command Marouckla to do?
Ans: June commanded Marouckla to pick the strawberries at once.
Marouckla picked them… commanded September
1. Where did Marouckla pick the strawberries from?
Ans: Marouckla picked the strawberries in the forest on the high mountain.
2. Why didn’t Marouckla eat any strawberries?
Ans: Marouckla didn’t eat any strawberries because Holena and her mother ate them all up.
3. What did Holena order Marouckla to do on the third day?
Ans: Holena ordered Marouckla to go into the forest and get her some red apples.
4. Where did Marouckla run straight to?
Ans: Marouckla ran straight to the top of the mountain where the twelve months were sitting round the fire.
5. Who did Great January offer the high seat to?
Ans: Great January offered the high seat to September.
6. Which season sent the faded leaves to the ground?
Ans: The season autumn sent the faded leaves to the ground.
7. What did Marouckla see?
And: Marouckla saw just one apple tree with red apples hanging high among its branches.
8. What did September command Marouckla to do?
Ans: September commanded Marouckla to shake the tree at once.
Right gladly… happily ever after
1. How many apples fell down from the tree?
Ans: Two apples fell down from the tree.
2. Why didn’t Marouckla bring more apples?
Ans: Marouckla didn’t bring home more apples because they wouldn’t let her shake the tree again.
3. Why did Holena and her mother go to the forest?
Ans: Holena and her mother went to the forest to get more apples.
4. What happened when Great January swung his club?
Ans: When Great January swung his club, the sky grew dark in a moment, the fire burned low, the snow began to fall thick and an icy wind began to blow through the forest.
5. Why couldn’t Holena and her mother find their way back?
Ans: Holena and her mother couldn’t find their way back because the snow fell in huge masses and soon they were lost in it.
6. Why did Marouckla return home sadly?
Ans: Marouckla returned home sadly because she couldn’t find Holena and her mother in the forest.
7. Whom did Marouckla marry?
Ans: Marouckla married a kind husband.