5. Evolution of Mankind
1. Fill in the blanks.
(a) Homo is a Latin word which means man.
(b) The Neanderthals primarily lived in caves.
2. Answer each question in one sentence.
(a) Who is said to have first made tools like the hand-axe?
Ans. Homo erectus is said to have first made tools like the hand-axe.
(b) What is heredity?
Ans. The appearance and health characteristics of human beings indicate their similarity to their ancestors. This s known as heredity.
3. Give reasons for the following.
(a) The Neanderthals became extinct.
Ans. It is believed that due to reasons like their conflict with Home sapiens and inability to adapt to environmental changes, the Neanderthals became extinct.
(b) Humans could produce subtle and varied types of sounds.
Ans. Homo sapiens had evolved to the stage of having a fully developed larynx which could produce a range of sounds with subtle differences. Their jaws and the muscles inside the mouth were well-developed and the tongue was flexible. Hence, Homo sapiens could use them to produce a variety of sounds and modulate his voice the way he liked.
4. Read the clues given below and find the words hidden in the box.
- Humans that stood upright.
- A sound that Neanderthals could make.
- Humans who used their hands.
- Homo sapiens sapiens began to grow these in the fields.
- Pieces of stones used to make tools.
- It kept Homo erectus warm although they could not make it.
- A county in which the remains of Homo habilus were found.
- A way of preparing food that Neanderthals used.
- A tool made by Homo erectus.
- Homo sapiens could do this to make pictures.
- Humans could use their hands because they learnt to stand on two of these.
- The country in which the remains of Neanderthals were first found.
- These were buried with them when Neanderthals died.