Std 5 EVS1 Chapter 10 Getting to know India questions and answers
Maharashtra Board Class 5 EVS Solutions Part 1 Chapter 10 Getting to Know India
Balbharti Maharashtra State Board Class 5 Environmental Studies Solutions Chapter 10 Getting to Know India Notes, Textbook Exercise Important Questions and Answers.
Maharashtra State Board Class 5 EVS Solutions Part 1 Chapter 10 Getting to Know India
5th Std EVS 1 Digest Chapter 10 Getting to Know India Textbook Questions and Answers
1. Correct the following statements and write the answer:
(a) There are coffee plantations in Himachal Pradesh.
Answer: There are coffee plantations in Kerala.
(b) Konkan lies in the eastern part of India.
Answer: Konkan lies in the western part of India.
(c) Tripura is the smallest state in India.
Answer: Goa is the smallest state in India.
(d) The Sabarmati river flows through Madhya Pradesh.
Answer: The Sabarmati river flows through Gujarat.
(e) The Sahyadri mountains are located in Andhra Pradesh.
Answer: The Sahyadri mountains are located in Maharashtra.
2. Make a chart of the States and the rivers flowing through/in them.
|(1) Ganga||Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal|
|(2) Beas||Himachal Pradesh and Punjab|
|(3) Narmada||Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat|
|(4) Godavari||Maharashtra, Telengana, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh|
|(5) Krishna||Maharashtra and Karnataka|
|(6) Kaveri||Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu|
|(7) Brahmaputra||Assam and Arunachal Pradesh|
|(8) Sabarmati||Rajasthan and Gujarat|
(1) Collect information and pictures about any one State along the northern boundary of India.
(2) Make a presentation : ‘I am the State of …….. speaking.’
(3) Find out which languages are spoken in your surroundings. Mention the States/region to which they are related.
Extra Textual Questions:
Q1. Study the physical map of India carefully and answer the questions: (text book pg 45)
(1) Find the mountains and name them.
Answer: The Himalayas, The Sahyadris, The Satpuda, The Vindhya range, Aravalli range.
(2) Name the hills shown on the map.
Answer: Nallamala hills, Mahedragiri, Malaygiri.
(3) Find and name the plateaus in the map.
Answer: Deccan Plateau, Telangana, Chotta Nagpur Plateau, Karnataka Plateau, Malwa Plateau.
(4) Which rivers originate in the Himalayas and join the Indus? Consider the height and write the direction of their flow.
Answer: River Jhelum, River Ravi, River Chenab and River Satluj join River Indus. They flow to the south.
(5) Write the names of the major rivers which flow into the Coromandel Coast.
Answer: River Kaveri and River Krishna.
(6) Study the course of the Ganga, Narmada, Vainganga, Godavari and Kaveri rivers. Note the slope of the land in each basin and write the direction of the slope.
Answer: River Ganga flows eastwards, River Narmada flows westwards, Vinganga flows southwards, Godavari and Kaveri flow eastwards.
(7) Find the lakes on the map and name them.
Answer: Wular, Dal, Chilka, Kolleru, Lonar and Pulicat Lake.
(8) Find and name the gulfs and the direction in which they are located with respect to India.
Answer: Gulf of Kachchh and Gulf of Khambhat in Gujarat, Gulf of Mannar in the south.
(9) Study the water bodies on the three sides of India. Find their names and write the direction in which they are located.
Answer: Arabian sea to the west, Bay of Bengal to the east and Indian ocean to the south.
(10) Find the Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Island groups and write the names of some of the islands.
Answer: In the Lakshadweep lies Chettlon, Andron, Kalpeni, Tree island. In the Andaman and Nicobar Islands lie Car Nicobar, South Andaman, Coco Island, North Andaman and Middle Andaman.
(11) Which river basin is located in the northern plain of India?
Answer: The river basin of Ganga is located in the northern plain of India.
Q2. Study the political map of India given above and answer the questions.
(text Book page 47)
1. Find our State. Colour it with your favourite colour and write the name of its capital.
Answer: Maharashtra (Capital is Mumbai)
2. Which is the northernmost State?
Answer: Jammu and Kashmir
3. Which is the southernmost State?
Answer: Tamil Nadu
4. Colour the States to the north-east in different colours. Write their names and the names of their capitals.
|Name of State||Capital|
|(a) Arunachal Pradesh||Itanagar|
5. Colour the largest State in yellow and circle its capital.
Answer: Rajasthan (Capital is Jaipur)
6. What do the names in red letters show?
Answer: Union Territories
Use your brain power !
(1) Which is the State next to us which was formed in 2014?
Answer: Telangana State
(2) How many States are there in India?
Answer: 29 states
(3) In which State is the Great Indian Desert mainly located?
Q3. Study the map given above carefully. (text book page 49)
This map shows some of the crops and transport routes in India. Answer the questions given below with the help of the map.
(1) From where will we obtain saffron? Trace the most convenient route.
Answer: We obtain saffron from Jammu and Kashmir. (Route from Srinagar – Chandigarh – New Delhi – Gujarat – Maharashtra)
(2) In which States is tea grown?
Answer: West Bengal and Assam
(3) Find the route taken to bring cloves into our State and trace it.
Answer: Cloves can be brought from Kerala – Karnataka – Goa – Maharashtra
(4) Find the States in which apples are grown. Circle their names.
Answer: Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh.
(5) Find the route to deliver oranges from Nagpur to Bikaner and trace it.
Answer: Nagpur – Madhya Pradesh – Bikaner
(6) Find a route to deliver coffee and mangoes to West Bengal and trace it.
Answer: Coffee from Kerala – Chennai – Andhra Pradesh – Odisha
– West Bengal.
Mangoes from Maharashtra – Nagpur – Chhattisgarh – Odisha – West Bengal.
(7) How will you send onions from Maharashtra to Arunachal Pradesh?
Answer: Nashik – Nagpur – Chhattisgarh – Odisha – West Bengal – Assam – Arunachal Pradesh.
What’s the solution?
Harsh and Tanishka live in Mumbai. They want to see the Andaman and Nicobar islands. First they are going to see their uncle in Chennai. After that, they will visit the islands. To make this trip, which of the routes on the map on page 49 will they have to take ? Will you help them by tracing this route on the map?
Answer: Harsh and Tanisha can take the sea route (black dotted lines shown on the map) or they can take the air route (green broken lines shown on the map)