Class 5 English Lesson 33 Rangoli
Maharashtra Board Class 5 English Solutions Chapter 33 Rangoli
Balbharti Maharashtra State Board Class 5 English Solutions Chapter 33 Rangoli Textbook Exercise Important Questions and Answers.
Maharashtra State Board Class 5 English Solutions Chapter 33 Rangoli
English Balbharati Std 5 Digest Chapter 33 Rangoli Textbook Questions and Answers
Things to do
1. Guess the meaning of the following word.
- pleasing – appealing and attractive
- finely – in a very skilled manner
- magnificent – beautiful and impressive
- coarse grained – rough
- beautify – improve the appearance
- fragrant – having a sweet, pleasant smell
2. Answer the following questions.
(1) What does ‘Rangaawali’ mean?
Answer: The word ‘Rangaawali’ comprises of two words, ‘rang’ meaning colour and ‘aawali’ meaning a row or vine.
(2) Where is Rangoli usually drawn?
Answer: Rangoli is usually drawn in the courtyard or in front of the doorstep.
(3) What is used to make Rangoli designs?
Amswer: Rangoli designs are made using coarse-grained powders such as sand, marble dust, saw dust or rice grain powder.
(4) What are the common Rangoli designs or motifs?
Answer: Common Rangoli designs or motifs are based on nature, such as mango, creepers, lotus and other flowers, swans, peacocks, fish and other animals and so on. They also include geometrical patterns and shapes.
(5) What different names is ‘Rangoli’ known by in different regions?
Answer: ‘Rangoli’ is known by different names in different parts of the country. It is known as ‘Chowkpurana’ in Uttar Pradesh, Madana in Rajasthan, Muggu in Andhra Pradesh, and as Rangoli in Gujarat, Karnataka and Maharashtra. In Bengal it is known as Alpanaa whereas in Bihar and Uttaranchal it is named Aipanaa. Kolam is the name given to the art of Rangoli in southern parts of the country, mainly in the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
3. Make a collection of Rangoli motifs and patterns.
Write about each motif or pattern in your own words –
it could just be a label or a description or some information or comment.