Chapter 1: Our Earth and Our Solar System
1. What’s the solution? One of the asteroids has fallen out of its place in the asteroid belt and is hurtling towards the sun. Our earth is in its way and there is all likelihood of a collision. What can be done to prevent this collision?
2. Use your brain power!
(1) What will happen to our solar system if the sun were to suddenly disappear?
(2) Suppose you want to give your address to a friend you have on the planet Mars. How will you write your address if you want them to understand exactly where you live?
3. Name the planets in their sequential order?
4. Who am I?
(a) You can see me from the earth but the lighted part of me that you see changes every day.
(b) I have my own light. It is only from me that the planets get light and heat.
(c) I turn around myself, around a planet and also around a star.
(d) I turn around myself and revolve around the sun.
(e) No other planet has a living world like mine.
(f) I am the nearest star to the earth.
5.(a) For what purpose are rockets used in space travel?
(b) What information do man-made satellites provide?
Fill in the blanks:
1) _________________ are very far away from the earth.
2) The sun, the moon, the stars, the planets, etc. are all known as ________________________ .
3) The heavenly bodies that twinkle are called _____________________.
4) Stars have their own _________________ .
5) The sun is a _________________ .
6) The Sun appears big and brilliant because it is _________________ to us than any of the other stars.
7) We cannot see other stars during the day because of the bright light of the _________________.
8) The heavenly bodies that do not twinkle are called _________________ .
9) Planets do not have _________________ of their own _________________ .
10) Planets get light from the _________________ .
11) Planets revolve around a _________________, even as they rotate around themselves.
12) Our earth is a _________________.
13) The earth gets its light from the _________________.
14) The earth moves around the _________________.
15) Its movement around the sun is called the _________________of the earth.
16) The sun, which is a star, and the planets that revolve around it are together called the
17) Besides the planets, the solar system also includes various other _________________.
18) Our _________________is filled with heavenly bodies like the Sun, our eight planets, dwarf planets, dozens of moons and millions of asteroids, comets and meteoroids.
19) Some heavenly bodies that revolve around planets called _________________.
20) Satellites get their light from the _________________.
21) The moon revolves around the _________________.
22) Some smaller heavenly bodies that revolve around the sun are called
23) There is a band of numerous small heavenly bodies between the planets Mars and Jupiter are called _________________.
24) Asteroids also revolve around the _________________.
25) Compared to the sun, other heavenly bodies in the solar system are much _________________.
26) All heavenly bodies exert a force of attraction or a pull on one another.
This force is called the force of _________________.
27) Due to the earth’s _________________, all things on the earth remain on it.
28) Even if we throw something upwards with great force, it finally falls down to the ground. This is because of _________________.
29) The emptiness between and beyond the stars and planets is called _________________.
30) To send some object from the earth into space, it must be given power against the force of _________________.
31) _________________technology or space launch technology is used in order to send any object away from the earth.
32) Man-made _________________ provide useful information for agriculture, environment, weather forecasting, making maps, and searching for water and mineral wealth on the earth.
33) Man-made satellites are also used for _________________.
34) ISRO means __________________________________ .
35) On 22 October 2008, the Indian Space Research Organization, ISRO, launched a spacecraft to the moon. The mission is known as _________________.
36) _________________ is known as M.O.M. or Mars Orbit Mission.
37) __________________________ was launched on 5 November 2013.
38) Scientists who travel in the spacecraft are called ________________________.
39) _________________ became the first Indian astronaut to go into space in 1984.
40) He spent eight days on a space station for a joint mission of the ISRO and the
41) Seeing India from space, he said that it looked _______________________________________.
Answer the following questions:
1) What are heavenly bodies?
2) Why can we see the round shape of the moon clearly?
3) What are stars?
4) Why does the sun appear big and brilliant?
5) What are planets?
6) From where does the earth get its light?
7) What is the movement of the earth around the sun called?
8) How many planets revolve around the sun? Name them?
9) What is an orbit?
10) What is the Solar system?
11) What are satellites?
12) Name the satellite of the earth?
13) Why is the moon, called the satellite of the earth?
14) Which planets in our solar system have natural satellites?
15) What are man-made or artificial satellites?
16) Why are man-made or artificial satellites launched into space?
17) What are dwarf planets?
18) Name a dwarf planet in our solar system?
19) What are asteroids?
20) Where do find the asteroids?
21) Which planet is nearest to the sun?
22) At what position is the earth from the sun?
23) Which planet is placed between the earth and Mercury?
24) Name the planets beyond the orbit of Mars in serial order.
25) Which planet in the solar system is furthest from the sun?
26) What is gravity?
27) Why do the planets move in around the sun in their fixed orbits and do not move out?
28) Why do all the things remain on the earth and not fall out of it?
29) Even if we throw something up with great force it finally falls down to the ground. Why?
30) What is space?
31) What technology is used to send object into outer space?
32) How does the Diwali firecracker – ‘rocket’ work?
33) How are rockets sent into space?
34) Who are astronauts?
35) Who is the first Indian to travel into space?
36) In which year did Rakesh Sharma travel into space? How many days did he spend there?
37) What words did Rakesh Sharma use to describe India from space?
38) What is Chandrayaan-1?
39) What is the other name for Magalyaan?
40) When was Magalyaan launched into space?
41) When did Magalyaan get established in an orbit of Mars
42) Why was Magalyaan launched into space?
For PDF click on the link.